Thursday, April 5, 2012

Austin’s First Pet

I took Austin to a little Easter party in town a few days ago and he won a fish.  He was so excited.  He kept saying, “I love fish! The fish is so beautiful!”  We went to the store and bought some fish food and put our new friend in a mason jar.  Austin carried that fish around with him wherever he went.  It was so cute.  Goldfish don’t have a reputation for living long healthy lives so I was worried about how this was all going to end.  Well, that little fish lasted a whole 24 hours at our house and then went to fishy heaven.  Vance and I decided that this was the perfect time to teach Austin about death and heaven.

DSCF0517DSCF0519DSCF0521

Austin did not take it well.  I know is seems cruel to take pictures of your kid when he is crying but I thought it was so sweet that Austin was so upset about his fish being gone.  He kept saying, “no, don’t take pictures, mom”.

DSCF0524DSCF0525DSCF0526

1 comment:

jess and seth said...

Oh, that sweet boy! I am so sorry about the goldfish . . . I wish I could give you our fishtank! We have about ten fish, and they die all the time. I mean, not the same ones--we rotate them through pretty quickly and my kids have become calloused to it--"I want to watch you flush it down the toilet, Mommy!" They were once sweet and innocent too!

So happy to hear about Vance!