Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A Very Bad Day for Austin

Well, Austin has had a very bad/scary day today. It started out this morning when I found him with an open bottle of allergy medicine. I couldn't tell how many pills he actually swallowed but I think it was 5-10. I immediately called poison control and they said that the allergy medicine that he swallowed was very mild and will probably just make him really drowsy and maybe give him a headache. What a relief!!!! I don't think I have ever been that panicked before in my life. So I let the poor little guy sleep all afternoon but I was getting concerned because he had a fever. I called poison control again and they said that a fever is not a side effect of swallowing the pills. They told me to keep an eye on him and if the fever didn't go down, then I should take him to see his pediatrician. Well, the fever persisted so Vance took him to the doctor and it turns out that he has Swine Flu. Oh, great!!! Oh, boy did I feel like the world's worst mom. The doctor said that he is in the very early stages of it but it is definitely H1N1. They gave us some medicine and he seems to be doing okay but the doctor said to keep a very close eye on him and quarantine him for the next week. What a day! I am just glad we got him into the doctor early.

6 comments:

The Riries said...

Oh my goodness, how scary!!! Maybe Austin getting into the medicine turned out to be a good thing since it probably made you extra observant/paranoid about his symptoms so you noticed his fever quickly. Thank goodness you got him to the doctor before it got worse. Good luck, I hope he gets over it soon!

p.s. Happy birthday last Sunday!!! Sorry I didn't call or anything, I had just gotten back in town and was not on top of things.

Mandee said...

That poor little guy! That's good that you got him in so soon. Hopefully he can get over this quickly!

I understand the fear of having a child swallow pills. Alex got into some Advil when he was about 18 months. I frantically called poison control and while I was on the phone I found a handful of sucked on pills on the floor. He had sucked of the coating and then spit them out. Phew.

Alex and Kimberly Rasmussen said...

Poor little guy-hope it dosen't get passed to everyone-good luck in the getting better!

Always a newly wed said...

Oh No! We will pray for him! Poor cutie! :(

Pattie D said...

Ahhh, the piggy flu! Hope he gets feeling better quick! NO fun, especially when you are little and don't quite understand it all. Hope mommy and daddy don't get it either...

jess and seth said...

So sorry about Austin! I hope he's doing better. I think the poison control people have our name up on their frequent-caller list--we've called about everything from deodorant to the gunk in the dishwasher hose . . .